Start new topic Forum Latest digest Sign in Create account
Search
CrochetMenScarvesHatsGlovesSweatersCardigansSocksOther clothingWomenScarvesHatsGlovesShawls and cover upSweatersCardigansSocksSlippersBagsOther clothingChildrenScarvesHatsGlovesSweatersCardigansSocksSlippersOther clothingHomeBlankets and plaidsRugsHome decorationsPetsSchemesKnittingOther hand-madeChat

I am new here and really want to learn to knit and crochet. Don't know the first thing about it. H

Nov 19, 2021 11:19 AM

I am new, can use all the help I can get.  I want to learn to knit/crochet and know absolutely nothing about either.  Would really appreciate someone's help.  For instance I have heard to start with a simple little project.  Dish cloth? 

12 comments
Nov 19, 2021 01:32 PM

Welcome!  I am sure that you can find lots of help in your crochet and knit endeavors.  I have been crocheting for about 60 years and I enjoy it so much.  One can never have enough yarn, LOL.  I also go to YouTube for tutorials all of the time for help and ideas.  Once again, Welcome to our world!

Nov 19, 2021 04:52 PM

Welcome!!  Dishcloth is good for a start.  Even if you make a mistake, you can still wash dishes with it.  I think you could find a lot of videos and pictures if you Google" Learn to crochet" Etc.  This site tends to assume you are already good at it.    I have my students do a simple bow or just a string of practice crochet for a hair tie for their first projects. 

+1
Nov 20, 2021 09:16 AM

yup starting with a square is always a good way to start  And learn how to put in a safety line while knitting, which is simple.  Thread a crochet/knitting needle with a contrasting color yarn and thread it though the last row knitted leaving a tail on both ends.

If you have to pull out a row or more of knitting due to a mistake, it will unravel until it hits the safey line then you can easity put those stiches back on the needle.  This techniques has saved me many times.

Yay for you and don't get discouraged at first.  It would also help if you joined a beginners knitter or crochet group.

Best...

Nov 20, 2021 08:53 PM

Youtube have some good videos.  Also, check your library, some have volunteers and crochet groups

Nov 27, 2021 12:09 AM

At first, I recommend you to try some basic simple stitches. Then, you can make a dishcloth or a scarf, as for example

Nov 27, 2021 10:03 AM (edited)

Carolyn, there are some great youtube.com videos you can watch that will show you exactly what to do and you can rewind and stop them at any time. Keep youtube.com on your computer so you can access it at any time day or night. I was blessed enough to have a grandmother that was a seamstress and she tatted, embroidered, and crocheted. I learned to knit from the girl next door with two stripped pieces of twigs and string… from small beginnings...then when I was older, I learned to do the rest of the stitches I needed to make blankets for my children. I never learned anything much after that, but I found that I had a natural love for crocheting, watching my grandmother do it. But I digress...check out youtube.com and put in search window how to knit (or crochet) hit enter...and choose which one to do. Blessings to you and your family this Christmas. Tami Hamilton

Nov 28, 2021 09:32 AM

There are some great free ways to learn.  Your local library should have some great books and video's/dvds, YouTube is amazing for learning knit and crochet for Newbies, especially if you are a«visual» learner.  CRAFTSY is offering a great deal for new subscribers ($4.00 for 1st year), which is a great deal since they have video's/classes for so many different hobbies/crafts.  And of course here at Craftorator there are many willing to help and encourage where we can.  Welcome and I'm sure you'll love your new crafting of Knitting and Crochet!

Dec 06, 2021 02:53 PM

check out YouTube. 

Dec 20, 2021 10:55 AM

Hi!, I am new here too.  Been crocheting for about uh, math, uhg...45-50 years off and on (more off).  Never could progress from the granny square cause, ADHD prevented me from doing hardly any completed projects, but this christmas started back up again and so far i've done; one lap blanket, one hooded scar with pockets and 3/4 of another lap blanket.  yay! also, i'm teaching my 9 year old granddaughter, starting her out on a basic chain, then turning and single crochet all down the chain.  just getting used to holding the hook and the yarn to maneuver it is the hardest for a beginner i think.  anyway.  this lady i found on youtube called creativedreamz is VERY easy to understand and shows you ever step! check out her beginner projects.  

Dec 26, 2021 04:44 AM

Thank you for sharing this information!

Loretta Mundus
Mar 10, 2023 12:02 PM

When trying to logon Everything changes to another language. I only speak read and write English. Please help!

Loretta Mundus
Mar 10, 2023 12:07 PM

I am an intermediate crochet person and never heard of the term ‘frogging’ can you tell me what that is, as I really could use it if it is to fix mistakes.

Thank you