Start new topic Forum Latest digest Sign in Create account
Search
CrochetMenScarvesHatsGlovesSweatersCardigansSocksOther clothingWomenScarvesHatsGlovesShawls and cover upSweatersCardigansSocksSlippersBagsOther clothingChildrenScarvesHatsGlovesSweatersCardigansSocksSlippersOther clothingHomeBlankets and plaidsRugsHome decorationsPetsSchemesKnittingOther hand-madeChat

Ball, skein?

Mar 21, 2021 12:39 AM

Hello, crafters!

I have a simple questions, as I'm just beginning my way to crocheting and knitting world, so, please, promise not to laught at me.

What is the difference between skein and ball of yarn?

Are there any other types of yarn form?

Thank you very much!

7 comments
Mar 21, 2021 07:38 AM

A ball is already to work, where a skein is suppose to be ready but most of the time it is very hard to find the beginning so you can start.

Mar 21, 2021 09:30 AM

A ball would be the leftover yarn from the skein that you can wind up into a ball by hand for a later project. The skein you have a tail to pull out of the center of it and the ball don't

Mar 21, 2021 11:31 AM

I usually make a ball out of the skein with the starting tail coming out of the center. This helps to make sure the yarn  isn't tangled while working your project. 

Mar 21, 2021 10:50 PM

Thank you very much

Fran
Mar 22, 2021 07:53 AM

I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that the skein (how it's packaged by the mfg) should be wound around a tube (end of yard down inside the tube & secured in a slot of the tube...paper towel tube works great!) to even out the tension of the yarn.  I usually fold up the label from that skein and place it inside the ball after it's wound and secure.  If there are several balls of the same yarn, save one label and put all into a plastic baggie.  It saves time when you actually begin using the yarn.   Hope this helps...happy hooking!

Merlene
Mar 22, 2021 02:52 PM

A skein is on of  the forms you buy it in. You can roll it into a ball.

Mar 22, 2021 06:18 PM

no difference at all.  You need to look at grams, ozs, and yards.