Start new topic Forum Latest digest Sign in Create account
Search
CrochetMenScarvesHatsGlovesSweatersCardigansSocksOther clothingWomenScarvesHatsGlovesShawls and cover upSweatersCardigansSocksSlippersBagsOther clothingChildrenScarvesHatsGlovesSweatersCardigansSocksSlippersOther clothingHomeBlankets and plaidsRugsHome decorationsPetsSchemesKnittingOther hand-madeChat

Crochet Adult Mermaid Tail

Jul 06, 2021 05:34 PM

Adult Mermaid Tail Pattern

Adapted By: Michael Sellick ©2020 The Crochet Crowd

Yarn

Bernat® BlanketTM, (10.5 oz/300 g; 220 yds/201 m) Guessing Between 6 - 7 balls.

This is a guess due to the mathematics. Crocheters wanted the kid size changed to adult. I have figured it out on paper but haven’t crocheted a sample but everything matches the dimensions given in the pattern below.

The approximate size of the adult version will be 60” cir- cumference taking into account non-slim adults like Daniel and I. I have calculated the length without the tail to be 60” which is an average size throw.

Refer to the child size version for the other size on Yarnspi- rations or The Crochet Crowd.

Hook

• Size U.S. L/11 (8 mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge.
  • Gauge = 7 hdc and 6 rows = 4” [10 cm].
  • Measurement

• 60” Circumference At Top Opening. • 60” long without the tail.
  • Abbreviations

Approx = Approximate(ly)

Beg = Begin(ing)

Ch = Chain(s)

Dc = Double crochet

Dec(s) = Decreas(e) (ing)

Hdc = Half double crochet

Hdc2tog = (Yoh and draw up a loop in next st) twice. Yoh and draw through all loops on hook

Rem = Remain(ing) Rep = Repeat

RS = Right side St(s) = Stitch(es) Tog = Together

WS = Wrong side Yoh = Yarn over hook

Notes

• Note: Ch 2 at beg of row does not count as hdc.
  • I have figured this out so the adult size runs into the child size as it decreases down for ease of following
  • this pattern. Ch 106.

Instructions

1st row: (RS). 1 hdc in 3rd ch from hook. 1 hdc in each ch

to end of ch. Turn. 104 hdc.

2nd row: Ch 2. 1 hdc in each hdc to end of row. Turn.

Rep last row until work from beg measures 26”, ending on a WS row.

Beg decs: 1st row: Ch 2. *1 hdc in each of next 11 hdc. Hdc2tog. Rep from * to end of row. Turn. 96 sts.

2nd row: Ch 2. 1 hdc in each st to end of row. Turn.

Rep last row 4 times more.

Next Row: Ch 2. *1 hdc in each of next 10 hdc. Hdc2tog. Rep from * to end of row. Turn. 88 sts.

Next 5 rows: Ch 2. 1 hdc in each st to end of row. Turn. Next Row: Ch 2. *1 hdc in each of next 9 hdc. Hdc2tog. Rep

from * to end of row. Turn. 80 sts.

Next 5 rows: Ch 2. 1 hdc in each st to end of row. Turn.

Next Row: Ch 2. *1 hdc in each of next 8 hdc. Hdc2tog. Rep from * to end of row. Turn. 80 sts.

1 Next 5 rows: Ch 2. 1 hdc in each st to end of row. Turn.

Next row: Ch 2. *1 hdc in each of next 8 from * to end of row. Turn. 72 sts.

Next 5 rows: Ch 2. 1 hdc in each st to end Next row: Ch 2. *1 hdc in each of next 7

from * to end of row. Turn. 64 sts.

Next 5 rows: Ch 2. 1 hdc in each st to end

Next row: Ch 2. *1 hdc in each of next 6 from * to end of row. Turn. 56 sts.

Next 5 rows: Ch 2. 1 hdc in each st to end Next row: Ch 2. *1 hdc in each of next 5

from * to end of row. Turn. 48 sts.

Next 5 rows: Ch 2. 1 hdc in each st to end

Next row: Ch 2. *1 hdc in each of next 4 from * to end of row. Turn. 40 sts.

Next 5 rows: Ch 2. 1 hdc in each st to end Fasten off.

Sew center back seam. Sew bottom seam.

hdc. Hdc2tog. Rep

of row. Turn.

hdc. Hdc2tog. Rep

of row. Turn.

hdc. Hdc2tog. Rep

of row. Turn.

hdc. Hdc2tog. Rep

of row. Turn.

hdc. Hdc2tog. Rep

of row. Turn.

Tail (make 2 pieces alike)

Ch 38.

1st row: (RS). 1 hdc in 4th ch from hook (counts as 2 hdc). 1 hdc in each ch to end of ch. Turn. 36 hdc.

2nd row: Ch 2 (counts as hdc). *Work 1 hdc in horizontal bar created below stitch in previous row (bar is below loops nor- mally worked on WS. See diagram). Rep from * to last 3 hdc. Turn. Leave rem sts unworked.

3rd row: Ch 2. *Work 1 hdc in horizontal bar created below stitch in previous row (bar is below loops normally worked on WS). Rep from * to end of row. Turn.

Rep last 2 rows until 21 sts rem. Fasten off.

Sew short sides of Tail tog (along last row worked).

Join yarn with sl st to top right corner of Tail. Ch 1. Work 20 sc evenly across top of Tail.

Fasten off.

Sew top edge of Tail to bottom of Sack.

Each section that decreases has 1 round for the decrease, then 5 rounds of 1 hdc in each st before the next decrease.

Kid Size = 45” long

80 sts = 45” circ. 24” tall section

Adult Size = 60” long

104 sts = 60” circ. 26” tall section

96 sts 88 sts

80 sts 72 sts 64 sts 56 sts 48 sts

40 sts

Tail is Added Here, no change in pattern. Decrease Round

Mikey’s Private Notes. Each increment is approx 4.2”. There are 1.73 hdc per inch. Pattern decreases by 8 sts and the adult goes to the bot- tom to match the childsize for sizing consistency. I measured Daniel and I’s bodies to get the sizing of avg non-slim person with extra room to move inside. I made it 60” so that it would match a throw size and go up to my armpits. Crocheters can make the 26” span longer if they wish.

1 comment
    Jul 07, 2021 11:58 AM

I'll offer my daughter to make it, as she works as holiday rep.