Start new topic Forum Latest digest Sign in Create account
Search
CrochetMenScarvesHatsGlovesSweatersCardigansSocksOther clothingWomenScarvesHatsGlovesShawls and cover upSweatersCardigansSocksSlippersBagsOther clothingChildrenScarvesHatsGlovesSweatersCardigansSocksSlippersOther clothingHomeBlankets and plaidsRugsHome decorationsPetsSchemesKnittingOther hand-madeChat

Beginners Set

May 12, 2021 10:51 PM

Hello, everyone!

My name is Evie. I'm a knitting lover.

My daughter Elise decided to learn crochet, as I'm not so goof at it, I need your advice.

What should I buy for her for the first time?

Which hooks are better? Maybe certain yarn?

What stitch patterns should I show to her?

I'll be very thankful for your help!

4 comments
May 13, 2021 08:30 AM

Cheap yarn to start with. I love Boye hooks. Chain, single crochet, double crochet. My best advice is to teach her how to read patterns. Happy hooking!

May 14, 2021 11:13 AM

When when I was a young girl of 12 years my mother handed me a number 8 crochet hook. And a ball of thread told me to crochet a chain stitch showed me how to make your little circle. It was a while before I can make the little circle but that was fine. Once you learn to crochet on your own then you go to the book this way you have your imagination work so you can make your own pattern and enhance the pattern that you working on. I don't have an image to show you at this time but it's very easy if you knit already you show your child how to knit and then they need something that they like in the very beginning

May 17, 2021 02:41 AM

Thank you!

Nov 26, 2022 05:33 PM

Evie, my youngest granddaughter, Dana, is 10. She has been making those tiny colored rubber and bracelets with her friends.  They look like chains of crochet. I got her a «J» Hook & scraps of my yarn. She made bracelets with her first chains, then we tried second & third rows, etc. She made simple colorful squares....(sometimes...lol)… coasters for us.  

We got her a set of knitting looms, but they seem to sit in the box. Bracelets & necklaces seemed to catch interest. Seems the chains  can be made with fingers and hands, too. So, I have gotten a large (huge) chunky yarn to do hands crocheting. You-tube has videos of it.