Start new topic Forum Latest digest Sign in Create account
Search
CrochetMenScarvesHatsGlovesSweatersCardigansSocksOther clothingWomenScarvesHatsGlovesShawls and cover upSweatersCardigansSocksSlippersBagsOther clothingChildrenScarvesHatsGlovesSweatersCardigansSocksSlippersOther clothingHomeBlankets and plaidsRugsHome decorationsPetsSchemesKnittingOther hand-madeChat

Life hacks for beginners

Apr 09, 2021 11:40 PM

Hello, everyone!

This is me, Elizabeth, and again I need your advice.

As an experienced crocheters (knitters) what life hacks can you share with the beginner, as me?

I know, that there are a lot of them, but mostly for advanced crocheters.

Maybe there are any for beginners?

How to choose the appropriate yarn or how to make the pattern easier.

Any of them would be really appreciated.

2 comments
Apr 10, 2021 10:58 PM

1. Learn how to make magic ring.

When you’re crocheting in the round, sometimes starting off with 4 chains is fine. But sometimes, you don’t want a hole in the middle. A magic ring means that the hole in the centre is much smaller. It’s also a useful thing to know how to do if you like to crochet soft toys as you won’t lose the stuffing through the hole!

2. Join as you go.

Making the granny squares for the blanket is fun. Sewing them all together is not so much.

If you learn how to join as you go, you can make a few squares, join them together, then make a few more until your blanket is completed. 

Apr 11, 2021 11:27 AM (edited)

learn the chainless foundation row, wish I knew about it 40 years ago. It helps me determine how long my project is and I do it loosely so the first row doesn't end up being too tight 

Magic knot is also wonderful, I'm not brave enough yet to cut the tails so I crochet over them as I go