Start new topic Forum Latest digest Sign in Create account
Search
CrochetMenScarvesHatsGlovesSweatersCardigansSocksOther clothingWomenScarvesHatsGlovesShawls and cover upSweatersCardigansSocksSlippersBagsOther clothingChildrenScarvesHatsGlovesSweatersCardigansSocksSlippersOther clothingHomeBlankets and plaidsRugsHome decorationsPetsSchemesKnittingOther hand-madeChat

How to use crochet skills for fashionable or stylish finished products

Jan 14, 2023 11:08 AM

Dear Craftorator,

I hope someone could teach with a video online to show me how to crochet with a variety of sizes of crochet needles purchased from Amazon years ago as a gift, thanks to my brother Mike.  I hope to add lining to a crochet sweater to be covered enough with substantial fashionable and stylish clothing.  I am flexible with new ideas.  Please contact Helen Hoang at helenhoang78@gmail.com for further detailed information.

Thank you,

Helen Hoang

3 comments
Jan 14, 2023 05:27 PM

Basically, you use smaller crochet hooks with smaller yarn.  A smaller hook with the same size yarn gives you a smaller and more tight result also, like when making toys that you want to keep in the stuffing.

Jan 15, 2023 01:06 PM

Dear Pat,

I appreciate your kind response about crochet needlework skills.  I am interested in how to make a fashionable sweater, cardigan, afghan, blanket, or something I can use.  Personally, I outgrew toys because I am an adult but I am considering reconnecting with my high school sweetheart who I met years ago.  When the time comes I will be ready I am just hoping for the right moment in time.  I will be patiently waiting for your kind response.

Thank you,

Helen Hoang

Jan 15, 2023 05:46 PM

I suggest you start with an easy piece.  Maybe a hot pad.  A scarf is a good project, as you don't have to worry about fit.  Hats are not a very long project, and fit is a little less of a problem.

Clothes are harder because most need to be fitted.  For that, you need to lean to measure your stitches (called gauge) to have it come out right sized.  Even then, it can go wrong with the fit.     Afghans are nice projects also.  They take a little longer, so not a good first project.   

Try this video for how to crochet.  Best wishes!

How to Crochet — a Step by Step Guide — My Crochet Space

+1