Start new topic Forum Latest digest Sign in Create account
Search
CrochetMenScarvesHatsGlovesSweatersCardigansSocksOther clothingWomenScarvesHatsGlovesShawls and cover upSweatersCardigansSocksSlippersBagsOther clothingChildrenScarvesHatsGlovesSweatersCardigansSocksSlippersOther clothingHomeBlankets and plaidsRugsHome decorationsPetsSchemesKnittingOther hand-madeChat

​Types of Woolen Yarn

Feb 21, 2021 12:01 AM

Hello, my dear friends!

I know, that most part of my crafters are real professionals, but, of course, there are a lot of beginners, so I want to help them and make a seria of posts, which might be very useful.

I'd like to talk about types of yarn and today I'll talk about woolen yarn.

Wool yarn is great for winter garments. It’s very warm, and it lasts a long time. An extremely popular natural yarn fiber out there in the craft world.

It can be slightly itchy for some people if they have allergies to kinds of wool. Wool can be easily cleaned and keeps you warm even in the rain!

Types of Wool Yarn:

There are 4 different types. Wool Type Fine, Wool Type Medium, Wool Type Long and Wool Type Double – coated. Types of fine wool yarn such as merino are wonderfully soft.

Pure new wool/virgin wool is made directly from animal fleece and not recycled from existing wool garments.

Shetland wool comes from the small and hardy native sheep of Scotland’s Shetland Islands. Icelandic wool is a rustic, soft yarn ball. Washable wool is treated chemically or electronically to destroy the outer fuzzy layer of fibers.

Ideal for: Winter and Summer. It’s great for making scarves, sweaters, gloves, hats, socks and other clothes.

Fun Facts

Wool has many great properties, but one of the best is it keeps you cool in even the hottest of climates.

Every major league baseball contains wool grown at a small mill in Massachusetts.

Wool has natural fire extinguishing properties, hence why it’s included in fire blankets. Other different types of yarn don’t have this property.

2 comments
Feb 21, 2021 08:10 AM

Very interesting!

Feb 21, 2021 12:05 PM

Becky, thanks a lot! I'll continue with other types.